Scratch Post

02 May 2007

[NothingInParticular] Reagan Excerpts

Got this from one of BBC's news today, snipped and edited for the nicer bits which I felt were very human and humorous. This kind of reminded me of one of Tunku's later memoirs he wrote that showed our leaders did once have a twinkle of mischief and a certain down-to-earth humbleness; but no ~~ these days its about how much bling the keris has, and the ever convenient instigating of racial politics to stir up the political base. Anyway I digress - here's the excerpt:

Reagan's diaries to be published

Two decades after he left office, the diaries kept by US President Ronald Reagan when he was in office are being published for the first time. Excerpts have been printed in the magazine Vanity Fair.
..........

His private musings while in office were recorded in five maroon leather volumes embossed with the presidential seal. Even on subjects as worrying as the Cold War and relations with Cuban leader Fidel Castro a folksy sense of humour is evident.

"Intelligence reports say he Castro is very worried about me. I'm very worried that we can't come up with something to justify his worrying," he wrote on 11 February 1981.
..........

The diplomatic crises of the 1980s are recorded as well as the faux pas. When Prince Charles - "a most likeable person" - visited the White House his tea was served American-style: "The ushers brought him tea - horror of horrors they served it our way with a tea bag still in the cup.
It finally dawned on me that he was just holding the cup & then finally put down on a table. "The Prince said: 'I didn't know what to do with it'."

Of his wife Nancy, he wrote after he was shot: "I opened my eyes once to find Nancy there. I pray I'll never face a day when she isn't there.
..........

0 Comments:



<< Home