Scratch Post

24 May 2007

[Self] Book Talk Again - The Age of Extremes

I recently forced myself to finish one of the more intellectually demanding books since I last touched something called Applied Finance back in college days Year 2.

It is "The Age of Extremes" by some historian Eric Hobsbawm who I don't really know. But I picked the book semi-randomly back in Sept 06 when I was on the PSMY project. Though the learned one deftly paints strokes of historical events and provides interesting patterns to movements across the 20th century - it was nevertheless damn dry.

Anyway, it did take me a bloody 6 months to finish. No intention to re-read it anytime soon. Maybe in another 5-10 years time when I've got more perspective in life - but I suspect it'd be countered by Parkinson or something by then.

I don't think it was his fault probably more of mine. I mean to use a parallel - how do you expect an earthworm to comprehend the complexities of the plots (the definition of "plot" used very loosely) in say ... One Tree Hill?

And in the meantime ... bless that good ol' chap of mine whom recommended me to Rumpole, of which I managed to get the 2nd Omnibus in Singapore's PageOne at Vivo. It's not as good as the 1st, but enough to keep me chuckling out loudly into the late nights.

0 Comments:



<< Home