Scratch Post

06 April 2006

[Self] Japan Day 6-7

Day 6: Plans to go to Kyoto in the morning delayed coz I woke late and had to pass the keys to Potato Chip. Shinkansen was an interesting ride, and actually so have all the rail rides to date. I don't know why but I love travel by rail, and especially have a biased regard for countries that have a rail culture. It's the rail deal (bad pun intended).

Night time was the best - checkout the posting about Jazz in Kyoto. Enough said the universe and everything was correct for just that point in time.

Day 7: For some reason I woke up early at 9am despite going back late around 4am-ish. Which involved me getting lost many many times even though I had 3 maps (worse then Ryoga from Ranma 1/2) to reference, and a taxi dude who sent me to the wrong area.

Avoided the more popular tourist traps in Kyoto not sure why. So I decided to go off the beaten path and went to Uji which is south of Kyoto. Uji was a totally small but cool town which was small. The town speciality was ocha! There were at least 2 streets with shops selling different kinds of tea to tea products (candy, biscuits, cake, desserts etc).

The fact that the town was charming and so beautiful also made me decide to linger a lot longer than I had expected.

After Uji, I decided to stop by Inari which had a temple called Fushimi Inari Taisha dedicated to the Goddess of Rice and Rice Wine. The temple was guarded by many many stone foxes and was deceptively huge. I thought that the main temple was somewhere on the hilltop not far from the 'base', so I kept on climbing steps and going through paths that never seemed to end. After a while I started to wonder if it would ever end. But then, from a matter of curiousity it soon became a matter of a personal quest - to simply get to the peak. Eventually after approx 650 steps and many paths I made it to a peak (counted on the way down).

Now I am at an internet cafe which is hell expensive but I need to be here to get some pics burnt, and find another place to stay if I want to extend my stay in Kyoto which I want to. Gonna check out some places where I can bunk into after this.

0 Comments:



<< Home