Scratch Post

13 June 2008

[Self] Basket Talking

I love BBall, and even the monotone in me gets emotional when I realize with age comes diminshing abilities to rebound or drive to the hoop; or when I shoot exceptional well one day, and then exceptional shitty the next.

It is NBA Finals time again. And yes I am still bewildered (and in denial) at how can a crummy Euro football tournament esclipse the NBA Finals - but this is not the topic today.

I do however have a bone to pick with the NBA and the media. As of today, it is Celtics 3 - Lakers 1. And every article or commentary keeps on rehashing about how the 2 clubs have some outstanding history of rivalry in the NBA since forevermore.

In sports - rivalries is synonymous to chest thumping, trash talk, testosteronish male bonding, and of course high TV ratings. Back in the golden age of MJ & the Bulls, it was them vs the Pistons, and later on the Knicks (and later on arguably the Jazz). Now ... that was a tradition of hostility, extreme competitiveness leading to "in your face dunks", kneeing, hard fouls.

BUT the Celtics and Lakers of 2008 are nothing like the Celtics and Lakers of the 1980s! Those 2 teams did have a history, but the current batch was basically just established after the trades earlier this year. Most of the key folks (aside from Pierce and Bryant et el) were in the clubs as a result of trades made!! It's just so much hype on the NBA's side to spruce up ratings following the many years of rating slumps partially due to the Spurs dominance and publicity lackluster in a way.

And I still say Suns next year! What Steve Kerr should do is just let Shaq sit on the bench and slowly fade away.

2 Comments:

  • Hey heard the boys stopped playing on Saturdays huh?

    Anyhoo, saw on your facebook status that u may be going to China? Give me a call when you're in SH ok? +8613817160871

    Btw, I'm blogging at http://wandernut.com now. For awhile China was blocking blogspot. Apparently it's not blocked now.

    By Blogger Wandernut, at 3:02 AM  

  • I dunnow I haven't seen Darren there for a while. I still go but the original crowd not there, only remnants. But got new folks (from Philipines - damn skilled, and some from Indo I think).

    Anyway, Cina has blocked blogspot most of the time as far as I know. The policy varies from city to city. So usually I was told ppl will VPN out, or use an officially sanctioned blogging site by the government.

    By Blogger keensoon, at 5:10 PM  



<< Home