Scratch Post

06 April 2006

[Self] Jazz Moment in Kyoto

I shall always remember Kyoto for this supercool moment.

Making up for lost time - I hit the streets somewhere in Shikinjio though it was late and wandered around. About after 30 mins of sightseeing, lo behold there was this signboard and on top of it was a spotlight that so softly lit up a picture of Duke Ellington in just the right tone. I thought - anyone who would pay tribute to a legend like that would surely know how to run a jazz joint.


So I went to the 2nd floor and was not dissapointed at all.

Immediately loved the place - big band was playing from a record, excellent sound system, a middle aged dude staring into his drink, and behind the counter a cool dude bartender who greeted me.

The place was crammed, a wee bit chaotic but it had all the soul. A library of records crammed just above the record player behind the counter, and also on a small deck across ... a few feet above where I sat. Bartender dude found out I was from Malaysia halfway through my sake, and we chatted.


Later on into the night, another older chap came in for a beer. Bartender dude tells him I am a 'stranger' from Msia, and next thing I know the chap gives me a 'present-o' (he had left something with the records) which was a collection of his Kyoto pictures when he was 30 years younger.


I mean, how more cooler can life get? I got the man's autograph, and bought him a beer to celebrate his birthday (1 day early).

We somehow manage to keep a conversation going occasionally through broken Japanese and broken English. I then tell them I had Sadao Watanabe's autographed CD, and loved Yusuke Yamashita also. Next thing I know, bartender pulled out an earlier record of Yusuke Yamashita and it is simply wonderful. I am a bit high after mixing sake and Sapporo beer (and missing dinner) but I am totally enjoying the moment.

And that - has to be one of the best moments ever I have experienced!

Note: To avoid dude confusion, here was the dude breakdown:
1 - Middle Age Dude - who was staring into his drink and half sober throughout
2 - Bartender Dude
3- Photographer Dude
4- Keen Dude

0 Comments:



<< Home