Scratch Post

13 August 2009

[Self] Ikea@Riyadh

A few weeks ago, some guys floated the idea of going to Ikea for lunch, which was a spinoff somewhere from Khurais Road at exit 16.

"Eh?? / Blah~ / Hrrrmphhh!!", I said and swat the idea with the (real) excuse that I didn't know how to get there, plus I was really sceptical about driving 30 mins out a for lunch (if I don't do it most of the time in KL, def not likely to do that in the 45C sun ); plus I usually avoid lunching in Ikea as its perpetually crowded.

But then today Test Plant 2 crashed for over 2 hours (Oracle cluster that was supposed to affect Test Plant 1 only in the end killed everything else), more crap happened, and a furry of strong exchanges with the customer occurred, and an impact analysis went to hell. So, with a "wtf let's just go out" attitude, I drove to Ikea with some chaps.

Now, the minute I stepped in after the rotating door, there was a really weird, real calming serenity that set in upon entering Ikea. Was it the harmless but universal cookie cutter feel that sparked a sense of hominess & familiarity, or just how damn good the Swedish are at artistic home decor?
Pic: Shawarma wrap (not the hot dog) - localization
I really don't know. But here for the first time ever, as I went thru the cafe menu and food, I just felt much happier and better.
Munching on a tortilla wrap, I talked to the guys, who felt a bit of the same too..... "Maybe it's the detachment", I said as I marveled at the tasty canteen interior & just-right-Goldilocks lighting, "You somehow get a feeling that you are totally not in KSA at all".
The chaps agreed with nods, and perhaps a follow up remark.


Pic: Familiar look, only its in Arabic

I think in many ways, it was a temporary oasis for a bunch of guys who were a bit homesick, and have been marooned too long, and too caught up with the desert terrain and unique customer headaches :)

1 Comments:

  • They look the same everywhere... heck even the airport in Stockholm has the same "feel"

    By Anonymous Marlboro, at 9:27 AM  



<< Home