Scratch Post

27 March 2009

[Self] Keith v Bill-O

One of the things that are somewhat entertaining would be Countdown with Keith Olbermann which I get from video podcasts. I just don't get his obsession with Bill-O (Bill O'Reily).

And while Keith Olbermann (and Rachel Maddow) come from MSNBC which is all leftie programming;
I've access to Foxnews which is nothing but a newschannel for the right. So yeah Bill-O is a radical, but so is Keith Olbermann. And while both of their shows are entertaining, I wouldn't call either a news programme.

So my guess is that people choose the channels they already want to tune into based on their own biases and pre-suppositions.

Just like what I guess Msian media is like. The religious from the Northern states probably read Harakah religiously; the UMNOputera types read BH and Utusan and believe it; the middle professional urban types read The Star; the cinapeks read the Chinese papers; and the jaded and anti establishment types read Malaysiakini.


So in the end, the real issues and dialogue don't get thru, it just gets warped into the media it is reported in, in the kind of color that is churned out, and merely reinforces the existing bias.

One thing really weird about Fox I noticed though (after some weeks of channel surfing), I'm not sure what they have about blond white lady presenters - haven't really seen other ethnicities, nor brunnettes nor redheads.

1 Comments:

  • and then there are the few who read them all :-)

    By Anonymous Marlboro, at 10:27 AM  



<< Home